Being at the end of October, Halloween can be an incredibly cold and uncomfortable event, especially for younger children — Halloween should be a fun, exciting time for everyone involved.
An awesome option for your kids this Halloween is a kigurumi! Yes, it may sound funny, but it is an increasingly popular (and very comfortable) costume option. Read on to find out about the awesome kigurumi!
What Is a Kigurumi?
The best way to think of kigurumis is that they are very soft onesies … that look like animals. This may sound a little strange, but they are in fact some of the most popular costume options around.
Two Japanese words combine to form the word kigurumi. “Kiru” means “to wear,” and “nuigurumi” means “stuffed toy” — together they are the most comfortable costume in the world.
Traditionally, the kigurumi was used to refer to the actual people that wore the costumes at conventions and amusement parks, but now the term is broadly used for the costumes themselves.
Why Should You Choose a Kigurumi This Halloween?
There are plenty of reasons to choose a kigurumi for your or your children’s costumes this Halloween! Here are just a few of the many benefits these amazing costumes have to offer:
• They Are Warm: With October weather being incredibly unpredictable, it’s best to have a costume that will keep you and your family warm. There’s nothing worse than braving the bitter cold in a thin costume to get the prized neighborhood candy — make your night enjoyable and comfortable by keeping warm with a kigurumi.
• Reusable: The great thing about this costume is that you only have to buy it once — it is always reusable and even washable. Many people with these costumes use them as casual wear and wear them year after year. Later we will discuss some options for altering your kigurumi for more costume choices!
• No Wigs or Makeup Required: With a kigurumi, your entire costume is included! There is no need for any makeup or wigs — this comfortable onesie is an adorable animal, making this the perfect costume for anyone looking for a simple and comfortable Halloween. Makeup can also cause rashes on kids’ sensitive skin. With a kigurumi, there is no need to irritate their faces with potentially harmful makeup.
• Great Prices: There are plenty of kigurumi dealers that offer these amazing costumes for great prices, often less expensive than a normal costume at a Halloween store. You can easily find any style and size online!
• Any Occasion: Many people use their kigurumis throughout the year! If you have a costume party or are going to a convention, these are perfect costumes. You can also use these as everyday wear — the loose, comfortable fit makes it extremely comfortable to wear around your regular clothes or even as pajamas!
Costumes You Can Create with Your Kigurumi
A kigurumi is an incredibly versatile costume, and with just a little bit of effort and creativity, you can create a lot of unique and fun costumes! Depending on the animal you choose, there are plenty of great costume ideas out there.
• Cat Costume: Little kids will love the idea of transforming their cat kigurumi into a Hello Kitty costume! This is a fairly simple and fun idea, and everyone will love it!
Another great idea for some fun and humor is simply adding a mustache to your cat kigurumi — mustaches and cats are sweeping the Internet culture right meow, so you’ll definitely have a popular costume if you combine the two!
• Dog Costume: Dogs are also a very popular costume, and there are plenty of costume ideas you can create! Scooby-Doo is a very easy character to create — all you need is a collar and some Scooby snacks!
Children that like recent animated movies will probably will be familiar with “Bolt,” the fun and exciting Disney movie!
• Fox Costume: For any gaming fans out there, Fox McCloud (famous from Nintendo games) is a great option! All you need is a pair of boots, green pants, a light jacket, and a futuristic toy gun.
• Mouse Costume: There are plenty of great costume ideas for your mouse kigurumi. You can dress up as one of the classic mice from “Cinderella,” or go as the dashing Great Mouse Detective!
The kigurumi is easily one of the most comfortable costumes available, and not only is it incredibly comfortable, it can be used for plenty of other occasions! It is a great value for the money and will keep you and your family warm on a cold Halloween night. There are tons of fun animal options to choose from, and you can customize each costume year to year — with a fun and comfortable kigurumi, you’ll never have to buy another costume again!